Friday, January 6, 2012

Leaving by Karen Kingsbury

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
If You Like: Christian fiction, Romance
Similar to: Nicholas Sparks novels, Friday Night Lights (tv show), Fanfare (book), High School Musical (movie)
Ages: 13-100

This was my first Karen Kingsbury novel that I read because it was a Christmas gift. It was a quick and easy read, but I wish I would have known that this story is a continuation of 4 other series.

Although this book was good, I was more interestied in the side story than the main characters themselves. Bailey Flanagin just seemed unrealistically perfect to me. Also, I felt like I was reading a Disney movie. No one kissed, no one did much of anything. The best part of the book was the story of the Baxter family, a couple and their three young children who are currently going through a hard time.

What I especially liked about the book was that there was scripture laced throughout it. It took some getting used to at first because I thought it seemed like Karen Kingsbury was just adding too much, but after reading the book, I felt closer to God.

Overall, yes the book seemed a bit extravagent and unrealistic, but we all read books to escape reality and this book did that for me. I am waiting for the library to get in the next book in the series. After I finish this series, I will back track and read the four series before it, in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment