Thursday, September 22, 2011

Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
If You Like: Romance, Magic
Similar to: Nicholas Sparks novels, Practical Magic(movie), Simply Irresistable(movie)
Ages: 18-90

Sarah Addison Allen writes stories that are honestly magical. She is such a talented writer, and her descriptions make you feel like you were lifted from the chair you were reading in, and transported into the magical place where the book is set. I started this book last night, and while I was at work today, I was thinking about this book. I just couldn't get home quick enough to finish reading it.

Claire and Sydney Waverly are sisters with special gifts. Sydney can do magic with a haircut, and Claire is an amazing cook who can control the feelings of others with the plants and herbs she uses. When Sydney returns to Claire in Bascom (their hometown) after being gone for 10 years, things really heat up. Sydney is trying to flee her past with her daughter, Bay, in tow, and they are just what Claire needed. Upon Sydney's return, the lives of the people of Bascom are all intertwined into the Waverly's magic. Like the flowers in the Waverly garden, some relationships begin to die while others begin to blossom and flourish.

Sarah Addison Allen writes books that are a mixture between a Nicholas Sparks novel and a fairytale, and I cannot wait to pick up her next novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment