Thursday, June 9, 2011

Love You, Hate You, Miss You by Elizabeth Scott

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
If you like: Teen books about addiction, books about loss, a little bit of romance
Similar to:Speak (the dark, sad feeling you get while reading both books)
Ages: 13-18

This book was the kind of book that I just kept reading and hoping it would get better, but it never did. It was not an awful book, but I just wanted there to be something more. I guess, after reading Elizabeth Scott's first two books, I figured it would be one of those predictable teen romances. It was far from that, and that is why I was disappointed. I guess it just shows how vast the author's writting topics are, which shows she's capable of writing anything well.

This book is about a girl in high school, named Amy, who is a recovering alcholic. After getting out of a rehabilitation facility, she has to visit a psycologist, who constantly clicks her pen, every week to talk about the car accident in which she lost her best friend, Julia.

Before the accident, Amy's parents were so wrapped up in each other, that they barely gave Amy the time of day. She was free to do what she wanted, when she wanted, and they never suspected anything was going wrong in Amy's life. Now, they are forced to try have relationships with Amy and watch her every move.

Amy had never had a sober relationship with a guy before either, and now she cannot believe the feelings she is having for a boy named Patrick. Throw in a new best friend who used to be awful to Amy, some evil girls who are still awful to Amy, Julia's mother who blames Amy for the accident, and the constant guilt that she killed her best friend, and that's the story.

This book is written both as Amy sees the world, and in letter form to her best friend Julia, which I thought made the story really emotionally moving and compelling to read. I am not sorry I read this book, I just wish I knew it would be all sunshine and happiness before I got into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment