Sunday, May 1, 2011

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
If You Like: Summer romances, books to take to the beach, happy ever afters
Similar to: Queen of Babble Series, Insatiable by Meg Cabot, Hallmark Romances
Ages: 18-100 because it might be a little too mature for some.

This is the first book I've read by Emily Giffin, and I realize how great of a writer she really is. Her writing style makes the reader able to easily relate to the story. It was a light and airy book that also had depth. It would be a perfect book to read at the beach this summer.

Darcy has always gotten what she wanted, even if it meant stepping on Rachel to get there. Sure, Darcy is a good friend to Rachel, but she tends to have selfish tendencies. Darcy is pretty and confident, and she doesn't have to work hard to get what she wants. Rachel is also successful, but her success came with a lot of hard work, and no matter how much hard work Rachel puts into life, she will never be as confident and successful in life as Darcy.

Things all change when Rachel sleeps with her best friend, Darcy's fiance, Dex. It is Rachel's thirtieth birthday, and with the unsettling thought of getting older, a little liquid courage, and seven years of harboring secret feelings for one another, it just happens. As it happens, feelings that Rachel and Dex had never admitted they had for one another surface. It shakes up the lives of the small, close knit group of friends who summer together in the Hamptons.

Even though Rachel is having an affair with her her lifelong best friend's fiance, you can't help but love and sympathize with Rachel. She is the girl who has always sacrificed her happiness for her best friend up until now. Who will Dex end up with in the end? Will it be his fiance, the beautiful and irresistable Darcy, or the sweet, smart, and real Rachel? What will this mean for Darcy and Rachel's friendship?

In all, I absolutely loved this book, and when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about reading it. You might think this book is predictable, but who does not love a good old sappy romance? I thought the ending was a nice twist. The book ends finished, but it leaves you in suspense so you will want to pick up the next book in the series.

I can't wait to read Something Blue, which is the second book in this little pair. I'm also looking forward to seeing the movie. If you want a summer romance book that will give you butterflies, this is the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment