Friday, May 27, 2011

Bumped by Megan McCafferty

Rating: 2 out of 5 stars
If you like: stories with no plot, dystopias, teen dramas
Similar to: Nothing I've ever read before
Ages: 13-18

Although I really wanted to love this book, it was one of the hardest books to get through. It's a really easy read, and one of the few things I found good about this book was the fact that the chapters were really short, but it still took me a long time to finish. I really feel like I should have just quit in the middle of it in order to save myself some wasted time.

At first I found the book to be very confusing and I was rereading pages to see if I had missed something. The only way I understood what was going on in the first 50 pages of the story was because I read the description of the book on the book jacket.

The book Bumped has no real plot. It's a book about two twin girls in year 2036 when a virus is spreading that causes women over the age of 18 to lose the ability to have children. Seperated at birth, Melody and Harmony reunite 16 years later only to find they were raised in two different worlds. Melody is a professional baby maker who lives in a town called Otherside where it is cool to be 16 and pregnant. Young girls often walk around flaunting fake baby bumps just to fit in. Harmony comes from a church town called Goodside that preaches abstinence until marriage. She leaves her "fiance", Ram, and Goodside in order to find her sister Melody and make sure Melody finds God.

When Harmony gets to Otherside, she meets Zen, Melody's best friend. Melody and Zen have feelings for each other, but Melody has signed a contract to be matched with someone in order to concieve a baby for a family who is willing to pay her handsomely. Zen and Melody made a pact that if she does not have a baby before her time is almost up to conceive, she and Zen will "bump", but Melody's agent Lib is supposed to have a bump match any day now for Melody.

When Lib calls Melody to tell her he has found a match, Harmony answers pretending to be her sister. Lib informs Harmony that the match he found is none other than the famous celebrity bumper, Jondoe. Harmony leads Jondoe to believe she is Melody, and tricks him into hooking up with her. Melody is mad at her sister at first, but then she realizes that she never wanted to bump with a stranger at all. She is in love with Zen, and she does not care if he is not an ideal bump match.

Harmony catches Jondoe talking to Lib about how he tricked Harmony (who he thought was Melody at the time) into thinking he had God. Harmony is so upset, that she runs out of Jondoe's house back into the arms of Ram. Ram and Harmony go back to Goodside to raise Jondoe's baby together.

Melody and Zen are together when Jondoe shows up looking for Harmony who he has sincere feelings about, only to discover she is gone. He said that he lied to Lib about not caring for Harmony or being a Christian.

This book is left so that there could be a sequel, but since the first book was so awful, I don't think I'll be reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment