Rating: 5 out of 5 stars (one of my ultimate favorite books, I think)
If You Like: Friendship, Romance, Happy Endings, An escape
Similar to: Nicholas Sparks, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Practical Magic (movie)
Ages: 18-100, this is a book both you, your mother, and your grandmother will love
Sometimes when I hold a book, it just feels right. That's how I felt when I picked up this book, and once I started reading it, I knew I was right. Sarah Addison Allen is a beautifully descriptive writer. Her words are so vivid. I enjoyed this book so much more than I expected to. It was as refreshing as a ice cold glass of lemonade on a hot summer day.
This book is about friendship, and the growth of two women who at thirty, haven't quite found themselves.
Paxton lives at home with her parents. She once tried to move out, but her parents just won't let go of their little girl. Paxton grew up in a house of money, and she is restoring the mansion that her family has owned since the 1930s. She expected to fall in love and have a family by now, but it hasn't happened. She is hopelessly in love with her best friend who she thinks might be gay.
Willa grew up the complete opposite of Paxton, but everyone knows her history. Her family once owned the mansion that Paxton's family now owns, but they lost it during hard financial times in the 1930s. Willa grew up in a house that didn't have a lot of money, but she never wanted for anything. Her father took care of her. She owns a sporting goods/coffee shop in Walls of Water, the town she grew up in. She never thought she would settle down in her hometown, and although she is happy where she is, there is something missing from her life.
Paxton and Willa's grandmothers live in the same nursing home, and they share a secret. They have been friends for well over 75 years, and it's the 75th anniversary of the organization they formed together. Paxton is preparing for a ball in honor of this anniversary and the restoration of the mansion.
Both Willa and Paxton reflect on the lives they had in high school, and discover just what they are missing in their lives now. The book ends with both women growing to see their full potential, with a few heaping spoonfuls of love and friendship thrown into the whole recipe for good measure.
This book is about a friendship that has lasted over 75 years, and a friendship that is just blossoming.
I thought this book was a breath of fresh air, and I can't wait to read Allen's other books.
No comments:
Post a Comment