Monday, February 6, 2017

Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin

**May contain spoilers**

Rating: 3 out of 5
If You Like: Affairs, Love Triangles
Similar to: Other Emily Giffin novels
Ages: 18-100

Let me just start out by saying that I'm not sure why Emily Giffin is so obsessed with infidelity.  This (like Something Borrowed and Love the One You're With) is about an affair.  I guess I used to love a good love triangle, but now that I'm happily married and a Christian, affairs aren't romantic like they used to be for me.

Tess and her husband, Nick, have just celebrated their seventh wedding anniversary, and after seven years, their marriage is seemingly perfect.  Tess has recently quit her job to focus on being a stay at home mom to her two children, but is finding every day life mundane.  Everything seems perfect from the outside, but then Nick is really struggling with his feelings too. When he meets the mom (Valerie) of one of his burn patients, Charlie.  Valerie has never really been in a committed relationship, and the only "father figure" Charlie has had in his life is his Uncle (Valerie's brother).  Nick quickly falls in love with Valerie because he can see that although she is a strong woman, she is lonely.  He eventually feels guilty after the affair continues for some time and he tells his wife about the affair.  Tess is hurt, but she ultimately makes the surprising decision to stay with her  husband and try to make it work despite the mistakes he has made.  Valerie has to try to move on from the quick but passionate and all consuming love affair she had with Nick.

This book was an ok book, and I love Emily Giffin's style of writing, but I'm getting sick of the types of stories she writes about.  Thankfully I'm writing this review quite a while after I finished this book, and I'm reading another Emily Giffin that is much better and doesn't seem to be going the route of an affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment