Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
If You Like: Teen romance, coming of age novels, beach reads
Similar to: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, other Sarah Dessen novels
Ages: 13-30
Normally, I can't wait to read a Sarah Dessen book, but I was a little disappointed with this one. It took me about a month to read this when normally I would finish a Sarah Dessen book in a day or two. Maybe it's because it was more about Emaline's relationships with her family members and her finding herself, rather than her relationship with a boyfriend. I guess I just like a stronger romance. I did however, fall in love with her little brother Benji. He reminded me of my little brother, and all of the good and simple things in life.
It's Emaline's last summer before college, and her biological father and brother, who have never really been a big part of her life are in town. Her father is going through a divorce, and is spending the summer with her brother, Benji, before everything is finalized. Emaline breaks up with her longterm boyfriend, Luke, at the beginning of summer, and persues a fling with Theo who's on vacation for the summer in Colby.
During the summer Emaline struggles to find her place in the world when her biological father and Theo push her to move past Colby and into the real world and her mother, stepfather, sisters, and friends keep her true to herself. Will Emaline remain close to her roots, or dive into something completely new and different?
This book was very slow moving, and that's why it took so long to finish. The last 50 pages was where most of the story took place while the first 400 pages dragged on. Still, Sarah Dessen has a way with writing that captivates you, and she has a way of capturing the essence of being a teenager, with all of her dreams ahead of her, about to grow up.
No comments:
Post a Comment